One highlight of the holiday season is spending time with family and friends. Another highlight is enjoying all the good food. If you’re looking for healthy recipes for the holidays and beyond, here are two suggestions.
Apple, Cranberry and Pear
Makes 8 servings
Approximate nutrients per serving: 200 calories, 4 grams of fat, 1 gram of protein
1 9-inch pie crust pastry
2 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup cold butter
3 cups peeled and sliced fresh pears
3 cups peeled and sliced fresh apples
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of flour, the syrup and 2 tablespoons of melted butter until smooth. Add pears, apples and cranberries; toss to coat. Spoon into crust.
3. For topping, combine 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; crumble and add the 1/3 cup of butter. Stir in walnuts (if desired). Sprinkle over filling.
4. Loosely place foil over crust to prevent over-browning and bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to 350°. Remove foil; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Remove and allow to cool. Serve with or without ice cream.
Makes 1 smoothie
Approximate nutrients per serving: 200 calories, 4 grams of protein
½ cup unsweetened almond milk
1 frozen banana, chopped
1 cup frozen blueberries
1/8 cup quick oats
½ pear, sliced
½ ripe avocado
½ cup kale leaves
Add all ingredients in blender. Blend on high speed until smooth (about 2-3 minutes). Enjoy!
UrologyHealth.org | WINTER 2016 | UROLOGYHEALTH extra
• Grapes (Imported)
• Sweet Bell Peppers